Zucchini, Spinach, Portabella, and Squash Lasagna with Italian Sausage
This healthy and delicious lasagna uses thinly sliced zucchini and yellow squash en lieu of pasta, and cottage cheese en lieu of ricotta cheese.
- Yellow Squash
- Fresh Spinach
- Sweet and Hot Italian Sausage (c. ½ lb ea.)
- Crushed tomatoes (15oz can)
- Tomato Paste (2 small cans)
- Sliced Pepperoni
- Grated Mozzarella Cheese (2 - 4 cups)
- Cottage Cheese (15 oz)
- Parmesan/Romano Cheese topping
- portabella mushrooms (1 -2 cups sliced)
Measurements are all entirely subject to preference, of course.
- brown sausage in large sauce pan
- preheat oven to 350°F
- when meat is cooked, add 1 x 15 oz can of crushed tomatoes and two cans of tomato paste, a tablespoon of minced garlic, a pinch of salt, and a dash or two of oregano, stir, simmer while continuing with the following
- slice zucchini and squash thinly; whether you do them in circles or lengthwise is pretty immaterial, imho, but circles are easier, so that's what I do.
- start layering, in a 9 x 12 or larger baking pan, the deeper the better (I used a glass/corningware 9 x 13): layers of meat sauce, fresh spinach leaves, sliced zucchini and squash, cottage cheese,
the order is entirely a matter of your preference, as far as I'm concerned, then, cover with mozzarella, top with pepperoni, add sliced portabellas, sprinkle on another light layer of mozzarella, a bit of oregano, maybe some crushed red pepper, if you like, then sprinkle on romano/parmesan cheese
- bake at 350°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour.